In the old days, lawnmowers were manual. You had to push them to roll the blades. Then, we had electric lawn mowers—you plug them to make them work. But still, you have to push them or ride them.
But today? You can buy yourself a robotic lawnmower and let it do its job.
A robotic lawn mower is one that is autonomous, not like a riding lawnmower. You do not have to control it, but it will cut grass on its own. Now, please don’t get any ideas that it is an android robot. It looks more like a mini-car, like those rovers they send to Mars for exploration.
To use a robotic lawnmower, you need to set-up wires that will define the boundaries of what it has to mow. The wire can also be used to position a charging dock.
They are not just high-tech, but they are also effective. A robotic mower can cut grass up to 320,000 square feet.
The question is: what are the best robotic lawnmowers?
In this review, we will take a look at the best ones. In the end, you should be able to make an informed decision about which one to buy.
Table of Contents
7 Best Robotic Lawn Mowers 2020
1.Worx Landroid M
The model number of this robotic mower is WR140. It operates in a 20V battery, and it is 100% cordless. It is one of the most affordable lawn mowers in the market today, which can cut sloped lawns.
The model is relatively small, but it does have GPS and WiFi. Both these things will help you locate the lawnmower no matter where you are—all you need is your phone.
- Great cutting performance
- Operates quietly
- Has GPS and WiFi so you can locate it
- Can be used with a mobile app
- It does not have a remote control
The only variant as far as the design is concerned is a black and orange combination. It has a floating deck, which makes it suitable for mowing grass on slopes. Its cutting width is only seven inches, but it uses a rotating disc with three blades.
This robotic lawn mower can handle a quarter acre. If you have a larger lawn, you need to buy the higher model, which can handle up to half an acre.
2.Husqvarna Automower 315X
If you are looking for a state-of-the-art robot lawn mower, then the Husqvarna robot mower is for you. It has Bluetooth, GPS, and even cellular technology that gives you several connection options.
- One of the best cutting performance
- Has a mobile app
- Has several connection modes (Bluetooth, GPS, radio, plus cellular)
- Quiet performance
- You can use a mobile app to turn it on or off
- Needs installation and this requires more money
- No sensor for rain
Husqvarna is a Swedish company. It offers a variety of lawnmowers, but this one is high-end. The color is two-toned, and it rather looks like a sports car, if you think about it. The robot can mow up to 0.4 acres, and it is offered in seven different variants.
Despite the absence of a rain sensor, it has a weatherproofing build. The rating is IPX4, and this means that you can leave it outside. It can work in the rain, but this entails work for you. You need to make sure that the blades and cutting deck are free of wet grass to prevent rusting.
3. Robomow RS622
If you are looking for an effective lawnmower, you need to take a look at Robomow. Once you set this up, you no longer have to do anything.
- Has a rain sensor
- Has child lock features
- You can control sound alerts
- Has a mobile app
- Initial set-up requires a bit of work
- The charging base is not waterproof
This lawnmower is black and green, and it is made of heavy-duty plastic. The plastic itself is weather-resistant, and you can leave it out of your house without worrying about rust and water damage.
The back of the mower has two wheels, both of which are eight inches and are treaded. The front has a 3-inch roller that functions as a bumper. As far as the blades are concerned, the robot works with two triangular blades.
For power, what you get at this price point is a pair of 400-watt motors. They provide cutting efficiency, and they sport a 4,000 RPM power.
4.McCulloch Rob S600
If you are looking for a budget lawn mower, then this is one of your best options. This mower is efficient, and it is made for reliability and intelligence.
- Great for budget
- Performs well on gradients
- Does not get stuck on flat lawns
- Not good in terms of communication and function
- Can sometimes run over the perimeter wire
- Digs into the ground with its wheels
The cutting width of this lawnmower is narrow. It covers your lawn slowly, but this is still reasonable if you think about its price. One problem you may come across is that sometimes, it does not recognize its own charging station.
It is easy to install and program. Once you buy it, it comes with perimeter wire and staples that you can use for installation.
The product also comes with an app. However, it only works on Bluetooth. If you want to control this device with your phone, you need to be close to it, with a maximum range of 10 meters.
5. Gardena Smart Sileno Life
This is a lawn the covers up to 750m². At this price point, we can say that what it can deliver is reasonable. It has several good aspects worth looking into.
- Easy to program
- Reliable but lacks strength
- Great for short grass
- The app does not have a lot of functions
- Needs additional gadget if you want to connect via WiFi
If you have grass that grows quickly, you need to use this lawn more often. While it is reliable, it does not work well with long grass, especially thick ones.
We have also observed that on some occasions, it has difficulties finding its way home to its charging station.
One great thing about this lawn is that it can handle pinecones and fallen fruits. If the blade cannot cut the fruit, the robotic lawn mower does not get stuck.
Overall, this is a reliable lawn that is easy to use. It can stand toe-to-toe against the competition, and the single biggest issue that you can have is the lack of functionalities in the app.
If what you are looking for is something that you can control with Alexa, then this is the right robotic lawn mower for you.
- Can be connected with Alexa and you can control it from there
- Can be used with voice command
- Easy to set-up; no need to bury the wire
- Has a rain sensor
- Wheels are not sturdy
- May have reliability issues after a few years
This one is a good performer. It has an integrated rain sensor that automatically tells the robot to stop working and go back to its dock. The engine is quiet, and it can cut to the edge of your lawn.
It is also equipped with an anti-theft system. It is going to alarm of the code is not used. Another great thing about this product is that it has dual blade that can cut 22 centimeters. Many who have bought the item say that the cutting width is perfect.
And the best part? It has a coverage of 3/5 acres.
7. Gardena 4077 R50Li Robotic Lawnmower
This is a great deal for those who have a tight budget. This one recharges itself and is programmed to find the charging station without human intervention.
- Cutting height is between 2 to 5 centimeters
- Has a rotary know that allows you to adjust cutting size
- Low noise and free of emissions
- Has different mowing times or days according to schedule you prefer
- Includes wires for installation and a storage bag
- The working area is only 500 square meters
- Wire boundary is only 50 meters
One of the best things about you will find great about this product is that it is perfect for all garden types. As an autonomous lawnmower, it has efficient energy consumption. It does have a rain detection system, plus an anti-theft system.
The anti-theft system has an alarm. You install and lock the device with a PNI code. If this PIN is not protected, it is going to sound the alarm.
You can use the lawnmower under any condition. But if you use it while it is raining, you will have to dismantle the blades and dry them to prevent rusting.
How to choose the best robotic lawnmowers
Now that you know which lawnmowers to choose from, let us take a look at how you can choose the best lawnmowers. This will ensure that you get the best value out of your money and that you do not get burned for buying the wrong product.
Determine your lawn size
The lawn size is the first and most important factor to consider before you buy a robotic lawnmower. You see, not all lawn mowers are built the same.
On top of this, the wiring, programming, and signal reach of these lawn mowers vary.
Here are some of the factors that affect the lot coverage of a lawnmower:
- Battery – larger batteries can work harder.
- Software – these robots have sensors, and their ability to mow is limited to what these sensors can detect.
- Wires – you need to install wires in your yard before you can use the mower; these wires act as a guide for the robot. Fewer wires mean smaller coverage.
To ensure you buy the right size, read the label and the installation guide. All packages of robotic lawnmowers will tell you the optimal lawn size that the product can handle.
Decide if you want an app
While many robotic lawnmowers today have an app, some don’t. Some models still require manual operation, which means that you have to go to the robot to turn it on and off.
Typically, a robotic lawnmower has a hatch on top. Below that is the control panel where you can toggle your options. This is where you schedule the task and where you turn it on or off.
Modern lawn mowers have an app that you can download. The thing is that these models are also costly. The app serves as your controller.
The way it works is that the app connects to the internet, and your robot is also connected t WiFi. Lawnmowers with apps mean that you should have a strong internet connection, even in your backyard.
An app is great if you have a big lawn. This way, you can sit back and relax and just control the lawnmower from your patio. If your lawn is small, you do not really need one that has an app.
If you want a mower with an app, choose those that are connected via WiFi, not Bluetooth. The problem with Bluetooth is that it can only connect to a maximum of two meters, which means that it is pretty much useless.
Choose a user-friendly lawn mower
Modern technology allows manufacturers to add conveniences to their products. As such, you want to have these things to make your life easier, most especially so because robotic lawn mowers are not cheap.
Here are some things you need to consider:
- Rain sensor – those that have a rain sensor will stop the mowing once the device detects rain. This prevents the blades from cutting wet grass.
- Collision sensor – not all lawnmowers have this, but it is great if you can buy one that has a collision sensor. What this does is it detects trees and other obstacles and will reroute the lawnmower; consistent bumps can damage your lawnmower, and a lawn sensor prevents this.
- Installation – lawnmowers come with wires. You need to install the wire on the edges of your lawn. These wires tell the lawnmower its boundaries. Some wires can be docked on the ground, while some needs to get buried up to 5 centimeters deep. Choosing the kind of wiring is really up to you. Pegging the wire on the ground is much easier, but this is inconveniencing as people may trip. A better option is to bury the wire, but only after you have made your tests.
Before you buy a robotic lawn, you have to take these things into consideration. The last thing you want is to realize that you bought the wrong one.
Check the features of the robotic lawnmower
The last thing to think about is the features. And with features, I am referring to those that will actually do the job.
Earlier, we talked about the conveniences. This time, we need to take a look at the blades, material it is made of, and so much more.
- Safety features – despite being robotic, these lawn mowers are still lawn mowers—they use blades. Choose those that have safety lock features so children will not get hurt. Your pets can also get hurt if you let them play around it. While all robot lawn mowers will change course if they hit an obstacle, you can never tell when an accident is going to happen.
- Weather protection – is the lawnmower going to stand the test of time? While most lawn mowers work great in many conditions, not all of them are made with the same grade of materials.
Some lawn mowers can work in extreme conditions, and they can withstand torrential rains and even storms.
- Blades – the last thing you have to consider is the blade size and cutting width. This decision depends on the kind of grass that you have on your lawn. You should also ask the seller of the lawnmower will cut through simple things like pinecones and fruits. If not, this is not a big issue, but you will have to sweep them first before you let the mower get to work.
Take your time to shop. Make sure you read the complete features of the lawnmower you want to buy and then see if these features match what you need and what you want.
Summary: Best Robotic Lawnmowers
A robotic lawn mower frees up so much of your time. If you think the price costs an arm and a leg, think of the purchase from a perspective of time, energy, and effort. With robotic lawn mowers, you do not need to get involved. Just turn them on and leave them to do the job.
They are also great because they run on batteries. What this means is that you do not have to use petroleum products. You can contribute to the reduction of pollution on the planet, and at the same time keep your lawn in tip-top shape.