There are three Craftsman lawn mowers that I want to talk about today.
- Craftsman M105
- Craftsman 11P-A0SD791
- Craftsman M275
If you are considering buying any of these from your local hardware or from Amazon, read my review first so you can make an informed decision.
Today, I will discuss:
- Who is Craftsman?
- Is Craftsman a reliable brand?
- Craftsman M105 Review
- Craftsman 11P-A0SD791 Review
- Craftsman M275 Review
- Best Craftsman Lawn Mower: What is the right choice among these three?
Let us get started!
Table of Contents
Who is Craftsman?
Many people think that Craftsman is a brand that was made by SEARS. This couldn’t be farther from the truth.
Craftsman is a line of garden tools, but they also manufacture other things like power drills and screwdrivers. They even have a set of 450 tools.
They specialize in workwear and lawn care machinery. While it is true that it was created by Sears, it was not really Sears that made these tools. Sears was merely the brainchild from the brand so it can compete with others.
Instead, Sears had a laboratory of experts that designed and created product specifications of Craftsman tools, but the products were outsourced. Craftsman is now owned by Stanley Black & and Decker.
Craftsman has been around for many decades. The first Craftsman tools were sold in 1927 through a product catalog by Sears. It was not unusual to see Craftsman tools in Sears physical stores. When Sears merged with Kmart, the brand was also displayed in Kmart stores.
So, how was Craftsman made? Sears had a contract with what we call as original equipment manufacturers. In the 1990s, Sears started to outsource the manufacturing of these tools to China. They had to do it to save on production costs.
Because of this, many claimed that the quality of Craftsman tools has degraded because of this move. The truth of the matter is that many products today are now made in China.
Heck, iPhone is made in China. Just because something is made in China does not mean it is of poor quality. If you really think about it, the degradation of the quality of Craftsman has something to do with the standards of Sears, not the manufacturer.
When Sears sold Craftsman to Black & Decker, the new owners confirmed that they want to bring the manufacturing back to the United States. If this happens completely, we can also say that the price is going to eventually go up.
Despite being made in China, Craftsman remains one of the most competitive brands in the tools market. It has been around since 1927, and they maintain their tool specifications even if the manufacturing is in China.
Is Craftsman a reliable brand?
This is a good question, and it has been debated for so many years. In my experience, I say that yes, Craftsman is a reliable brand. And I am not just talking about the lawn mowers. While Craftsman is not at par with Dewalt or Milwaukee, I will still insist that it does the job.
I have owned various Craftsman tools before. For the price they are sold, I know that I got my money’s worth. Overall, my take is that Craftsman is a great alternative if you do not want to spend a fortune on lawn mowers or tools.
Craftsman M105 Review
This is a gas-powered lawn mower. It is a push lawn mower that comes with a bag receptacle at the back.
Here are the specs:
- Lawn mower width is 21 inches
- 140cc gas engine
- Weight is 65 pounds
- Minimum cutting height is 1.25 inches
- Maximum cutting height is 3.75 inches
This lawn mower stands on four wheels. The front wheels are four inches in diameter while the rear wheels are eight inches.
The advertisements for this product say that this is a 3-in-1 tool. What this simply means is that it has three capabilities. You can discharge the grass on the left or at the back, and it also has a mulcher.
If you buy this, minor assembly is required. This should not be an issue as the assembly is really not technical. You do not need any mechanical experience to set it up.
What I like about this Craftsman gas-powered lawn mower is that it has recoil and auto choke. There is no need to do a primer choke where you have to pull a string several times to power it on. Just pull once, and you can expect it to start.
This lawn mower may be gas-powered, but it is not self-propelled. What this means is that the lawn mower is not going to move forward. You have to push it to mow your lawn. As far as storage is concerned, you can fold the lawn mower so you can easily stow it.
Here is a summary of the product’s pros:
- Easy to set up and choke
- Has a side releaser; you can use it to collect grass
- You can use the height adjustment to cut grass in different heights
- Has a dual lever
- Easy to maintain
- Easy to maneuver because it has four wheels
I can say that this motorized mower is perfect for any lawn size, albeit it requires manual work since you do have to push it. If you do not want to push a lawn mower, you should be opting for the best robotic lawn mowers—but they are costly.
The lawn mower has a sophisticated design, and you can use it regardless of the season. The powerful blades will cut through the grass in both dry and wet seasons.
Upon testing, I can definitely say that this model cuts grass in one pass. What this means is that you can cut grass efficiently—you no longer have to go back to the same spot.
The performance of this mower comes from the motor. It uses Briggs and Stratton. And this is probably why this mower has a positive reputation.
Craftsman 11P-A0SD791 Review
Like the previous model, this is a 21-inch mower. It is also motorized and uses the Briggs and Stratton engine. No priming is required, and it takes only one step to start the engine.
This mower also has a 3-in-1 deck, which makes it possible for you to mulch. As such, cleaning up is almost non-existent, plus you can put back the nutrients to your soil.
Here are the specs of this model:
- 2-in-1 functionality; it does the cutting and the mulching
- Has side discharge for grass clippings
- Engine is 140cc
- Does not make a lot of noise
- Less vibration to prevent fatigue
- Has a dual lever adjustment tool
- Offers 6 positions for height adjustment
- Change cutting heights between 1.25 inches and 3.75 inches
- Easy to use
- Has a single-speed front-wheel drive
- Has a chute
- Comes with two years of warranty
This model is made in the USA. It is made by Global Materials in Mississippi. Unlike the previous mower, this is not a 3-in-1 model. You cannot add a chute at the back, and there is no provision for you to do it. You can only add the cut at the sides.
Now, I do not want you to be confused by the single-speed front wheels. This is not a self-propelling lawn mower. It is a manual lawn mower that you have to push.
Craftsman M275 Review
If you are looking for more power, then you have to consider this one. Its motor is 159cc, and I am glad to tell you that this mower is self-propelled. Unlike the first two, this one has an electric start, so there is no need to pull strings.
Here are the specifications of the lawn mower:
- Powerful 159cc engine
- Has 21-inch cutting deck
- 3-in1 capabilities; can mulch, and as the side and rear discharge
- Self-propelled front-wheel drive
- Has an electric starter
- Uses dual-lever adjustment for cutting height
- Choose from six height settings
- Has a deck wash
This model is a little similar to the M215, which we are not reviewing here today. What I like about this one is the wide cutting deck and the raw power of the engine. Once the set-up is done, there is no need to exert a lot of effort to get it started.
I also like that it has a deck wash. What this does is it allows you to attach a hose so you can easily clean it later after use. You can also fold the handles so you can stow it underneath a closet or table.
What is the right choice among these three?
If you were to ask me, I would certainly recommend the last one—the Craftsman M275. While it is pricier, it does perform the job faster. I like it that it is self-propelled. It does not require pushing to make it move forward. The handles are there just so you can steer it.
Here is a summary of why I choose the M275:
- Engine power – hands down, more engine power means more power for your blades. a motor like this is faster than a motorcycle—can you imagine how fast that is?
- Functionalities – it has a side discharge, rear, discharge, and a mulcher.
- Self-propelled – pushing a heavy motorized mower is tiring. For just a few extra dollars, you will spare yourself the hassle and the fatigue.
- Cutting height – the dual lever makes it easy to adjust the height so you can cut grass according to what you desire.
- Easy start – I like the electric starter. In fact, I believe that all motorized tools should have this feature.
- Finally, I like the deck wash. You no longer have to dismantle the whole thing to clean it up.
How to Care for a Lawn Mower
Once you have purchased a lawn mower, you are responsible for caring for it. No tool lasts long if you do not do your part in keeping it clean.
Here are my tips on how to care for a lawn mower:
- Replace the air filter – motorized lawn mowers, especially gas-powered ones, have an air filter. Over a long period of time, this filter gathers soot and dust. Your mower has an instruction manual on how to dismantle the housing of the filter. Read it and replace the filter as the manufacturer requires.
- Change the oil – like any gas-powered motor, your lawn mower has oil. You need to change the oil twice during the mowing season. The oil is what keeps the motor running. If the oil is low, fill it up. Better yet, take it to a car mechanic and have him replace your oil.
- Winterize the mower – many mowers stop working after winter because they were stuck in the cold there are several things you can do to prevent this from happening. First off, empty the gas tank before you store the mower for the winter. You must also disconnect the spark plug if there is any, and then remove the bade and stored them properly, so they will not rust.
- Motorized mowers are like cars—they have engines, oils, and many working components. Unless you take an active approach in taking care of them, they will not last. What you want is to have active participation in their care.
All mowers come with manuals. If they don’t, there is always a website you can visit to download the manual. Read the manual carefully, and apply what you have learned. Do not use gas or oil that the brand does not recommend.
Summary: Best Craftsman Lawn Mower
Before you buy a lawn mower, you have to ask yourself a few questions. First, you need to determine the size of your yard. You also need to look at the landscape. Another factor you have to consider is whether you are willing to do hard work or not.
You see, there are many types of mowers. One of the things that frustrate people the most is the backbreaking work that comes with it. If you do not want to work, and if you have to budget, you have to consider buying a robotic lawn mower. It is really expensive, but it is worth the price.
If you are willing to do the work, then I strongly recommend a push mower, especially the last Craftsman lawn mower that I reviewed here today. It is affordable, easy to maintain, and it certainly will give you a decent amount of exercise.